Sunday, October 4, 2009

Use it up, wear it out, make it work or do with out

This is the motto I live by. Our sweet neighbor upstairs( too bad she has the most horrific dogs) is always giving me magazines. It's usually Gourmet but this time it was a high-fashion magazine. Clayton and I take pleasure snickering at the RiDICulous outfits. Apparently Hobo is the new look for men. Our eyeballs popped out when we saw one jacket that cost $6,800!! Could you imagine dropping that kind of cash on a piece of cloth?!?
Now I'm off-track, Clayton really is rubbing off on me.
My point is, I am so fond of giving old things new life. Why spend all that dough? Garage sales, craigslist, thrift stores and the very best, tree-lawns, are all my hunting grounds. All but a few items in our house are from one of these places. I call my home decor, Shabby-Chic.
I recently re-upholstered my Mother's wingback chair. I was going to go with a neutral color but I realized something about my self I wanted to change. I always go for the normal, uninteresting. I used to like everything to blend in, not stand out. But times have changed. I'm embracing color now. Color therapy! I noticed that during the drab, gray, loooong winters of Cleveland , we really need brightness and color in our home. Clayton and I saw this vibrant print at JoAnns and fell in love. The chair looks fabulous and it reminds me, odd as it is, of the Atonement.
The chair was old, used up, stained, ugly, scratched. However, I still saw something good, sturdy, unique, of value, of worth. Because of the Atonement and through repentance we can all be renewed and whole again.
Now that's beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric...very pretty.

Diana said...

I love this chair. Can you come and fix my ugly couch? I am totally impressed!

melody said...

The chair looks more beautiful than when it was new and pink. You are an amazing, talented woman whom I cherish as my daughter!

spice2116 said...

love the little story to go with the chair!! way to recycle good items