Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rich indeed

One night, Poppie pulled out his treasure chest and let the kids count his bills and coins from all over the world. We tried to count how many different countries were represented but never figured it out.
Story of the treasure chest:(please send corrections if I'm wrong)
My oldest brother Eric made the wooden chest and buried it in the sandbox in our backyard. I'm pretty sure this was before I was even born. Then while digging it up with my other brothers, Dale found it with his shovel leaving a big dent in the lid that is still there.
Later on, while my Dad was bishop, returned missionaries would give him coins or bills as gifts so my Dad started putting them in this chest. When my brothers went on their missions they brought back coins and bills to add as well. Then vacations and business travels around the world made up the rest and he even has added some interesting/rare bills that others find and give to him.

I should have taken a picture of when the kids had the money spread all over the table. It's a huge collection and it was so fun to see the kids with their Poppie.

He is a rich man indeed.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow...I can definitely tell that those boys are related. :) That looks like fun! Sounds like your dad has an awesome collection.

betsey said...

What a great idea! I'm sure the boys just loved it (Well, Caleb anyway...). A very sweet activity with their grandpa!

Sara said...

The kids sure enjoyed looking at poppies coins. Nathan put his in our "disneyland jar." Nice gesture, but I will have to dig them out eventually and give them back to him. They didn't quite get that 1000 pesos is maybe a dime also.

Diana said...

What a neat idea!