Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Favorite bread recipe

Alright everyone. I've found my favorite recipe for white sandwich bread. It's awesome for a loaf of bread, soft rolls, or even homemade hot dog and hamburger buns!

Makes 2 large loaves or 3 small:

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 C Warm water
1 1/4 C evaporated milk
1/3 C sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbl. veg oil
6 C bread flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside while combining evap. milk, sugar and beaten eggs. Yeast should be foamy and growing by now. Mix well with other ingredients. Add half the flour, all the oil and salt. With whip attachment, whip on medium until smooth and all lumps are gone. Mix one minute longer. (you are actually kneading the dough) Let this mixture rise until doubled. ( this step lets the dough do its own kneading.) Once doubled, stir to deflate it, add the rest of the flour and with dough hook knead on low speed for 5 minutes exactly. Dough will be sticky. Pull dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until you have a smooth elastic ball. (I hate to say it but the best way I can describe how the dough should feel is how your belly felt just after giving birth.) Spank the dough to release any large air bubbles. Divide in two and pound flat with your hand. Starting at edge roll up dough into a cylinder, pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Place into loaf pan seams down. Cover with cloth and leave in a warm, damp place until dough rises at least one inch above rim of pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Bread should sound hollow when you tap the bottom.

Variations:

I like to substitute brown sugar instead of white sugar because brown sugar retains moisture better. I have also used honey just use a little less than what the recipe calls for.

I've made it without the eggs and it turns out fine. Just not as rich

You can use wheat flour but only substitute 2-3 cups. I found it wouldn't rise as high if I put more in.

1 comment:

paula said...

I'll give it a try. Looks like you are ready for spring. Loved the videos.