Saturday, February 21, 2009

My hero

After writing my last post, I was reminded of a story when I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Caleb. Its one of my favorite memories of my Mom so I had to share.

I was working at a shmancy steak house at the Phoenix Marriott and my Mom was in the neighborhood so I told her to stop by for some lunch. Right after she walked in, another couple came strolling in from the golf course for some lunch as well. Like everyone else, they noticed my obvious state of roundness and asked when I was due. We chatted and my Mom, putting her arm around me, proudly chimed in, "This is MY baby. She's my youngest of 8." The man looked at her slightly horrified and bluntly said, "Didn't you use birth control?" (I'm thinking, RUDE!) My Mom, smiling, not even offended responds, "Yes, that's why I only had 8" The man chuckled, hopefully realizing what a schmuck he was and replied, "Good answer."
Mom you're the best! Thanks for making it to number 8.

4 comments:

betsey said...

What a great woman! I think it is so important to let those kind of insensitive comments just roll right off your back...your mom is a wise woman! And EIGHT kids is AMAZING!

Sara said...

Is that Caleb? That looks exactly like Zach when he was a baby! Hope everything is going good with baby #2! Your due date is coming up quickly!

Unknown said...

I think that is Zach! That tells you how old this photo is; but its the only pic I have of Mom on my computer.

Misty said...

I'm not sure I would have known how to respond! Anyway- I owe you a lot. I love the burp clothes and made a public thank you over on my blog! You are amazing too!