Thursday, April 14, 2011

My strange children

 Last Sunday was a nice change in weather. 86 apart from our usual 40-50 degrees. We loaded up the boys bikes and went to the park.
  I observed the differences in our boys. Caleb so reserved and interested in everything. He has phobias and strange theories about why things are the way they are. Sometimes I correct him (Not that he believes me) but sometimes I just let it go because I'll like his theory better than nature's.
 Quinton goes at everything in full force. I watched him struggle to climb to the very top of this rope tower. I could see in his eyes how much he wished he was a little taller to reach the ropes with ease. I helped him go as high as he could but I also held him back because I know the theory " What goes up, must come down". After the rope tower he ran to a giant boulder and pointed to the very top saying, up,up,up and then rose to his tip-toes and grunted as if pure will power would get him the rest of the way there.

This was as far as I could convince Caleb to climb
 On the swings Quinton loves to go high and fast. When Caleb was his age, a gentle sway was all he could handle.
Yesterday, Caleb and I were sick. Caleb recovered quickly but I was out for the whole day. I lounged on the couch sliding in and out of consciousness while the boys did a number on the house.
Caleb gave me the play by play while watching Disney's Oceans.

Voice of Pierce Brosnan: A sea lion glides through the water...
Caleb: Mom look! It's a SEA LION!
Voice of Pierce Brosnan: The Great White shark is on the hunt...
Caleb: Whoa, whoa, Mom its a shark! Hey, did you know it's a Great White?!?!

Imagine while this is going on, Quinton jumping on my legs and sometimes landing on my stomach. My only break is when he would help himself to the snack cupboard. I left it unlatched because someone had to feed my kids, and it wasn't going to be me.

We also watched a National Geographic on Volcanoes. Very exciting. I suggested we watch Story Story 3. Caleb's response, "Uhhh..that movie's kind of scary."

 After yesterday, I thought we could all use some fun so we went to the library and park. At the library, Caleb says, "Mom, I don't EVER want you to go to Columbia." (how does he know about kidnappings and Drug lord's??) "because there is a volcano there and its very dangerous."

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Haha--I love the Caleb narration. Hope you're feeling better!

Beth said...

What a great post! Your boys are so funny. Actually Joshua and Peter are kind of like that too. Petey is so much more adventurous than Joshua was. Maybe it's a second-child thing?