When picking up Caleb yesterday, his teacher stopped me to inform that Caleb had been pushed really hard from behind by one boy, skinning his knee, and then later, a different boy had bent back his fingers until he screamed. I asked if these boys were singling him out and the teacher said "No, they just aren't taught any manners at home". She said she would be speaking with the other kids parents as well.
I didn't think Caleb's first encounter with bullying would be so soon! Caleb did say that the second boy said he was sorry. Sounds like the boy thought it was a game and didn't mean to hurt Caleb but that first boy had obvious intentions to hurt him.
As we walked home, we talked about what had happened and how good it was that the one boy had said sorry. We talked about if the other boy keeps up that behavior he won't have many friends. We also discussed, not retaliating.
Then Caleb says, "Mom, I just want to be like you." I asked him why and he said because I was a good person. I thanked him and reminded him that he is a good person too, then I asked him to guess who I am trying to be like. I told him that I always try to be like Jesus, just like the primary song says. "But Mom, you're already like Jesus." How nice it is that Caleb hasn't reached that age when he can see all my faults. I told him I still have some stuff to work on. Then he said that you are supposed to try to be like someone who is older than you, so I should really start trying to be like Daddy because he knows a loooooooot of stuff. I just agreed and said that's why Dad and I make a good team.
I'm really treasuring these walks home with Caleb.
4 comments:
That is so sweet!! I mean, minus the bullying, which makes me really nervous for Joshua and next year.
Very sweet conversation!
We miss Caleb. He is always so sweet.
You are such a good mom. This brought tears to my eyes. Our children are so lucky to have parents who love and teach them by example. Oh man, I am not looking forward to the bullying for Ethan. So sad.
Post a Comment