Friday, August 10, 2012

How to induce labor

 Started off July 4th getting the "magic" labor-inducing foot massage from cousin Leah. It is actually a little painful. She said if it's uncomfortable, it's working.
                                    
                                          Watching the kids set off fireworks in McMullins driveway
Quinton LOVED the fireworks and gave me the best hug/squeeze while we watched.
 Well the foot massage certainly started some good contractions about 3AM. They were 4 minutes apart but not very strong so we waited for the contractions to get painful but they never did and eventually stopped. I was very sad but Clayton took the morning off just in case they started up again.

In the mean time, we went for lots of walks up and down hills.
 
Taco wasn't quite leash trained yet so he got to ride with Quint.



 By Saturday the 7th, we decided we needed to do some real hiking so we went to El Morro monument for a few hours to see the ruins and ancient carvings.

 I started having real contractions around midnight the next night and Ruby Jane was born 7 hours later.

 They don't do epidurals in Gallup so I had planned to get the spinal block shot which lasts about 2 hours but waited too long and my water broke. So there was no time for the shot and I got to feel EVERYTHING. Good thing she came our after about 8 pushes. (and good thing she has a little head).
I didn't even have time to put my glasses on. All I could see was a deep blue blob until I held her up real close to my face. It scared me how blus she was but she pinked up real fast. Clayton read later that babies born in high altitude tend to be born blue.

1 day old
Ruby at about 2 weeks
Ruby Jane Carpenter
July 9th
20 inches long
7 lbs. 6 ozs


She has been a big blessing in our home and I think she already has Daddy wrapped around her tiny finger.

5 comments:

Holly said...

she's so cute! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Jenny said...

Yay! :)

Beth said...

Congratulations! We both have two boys and a girl now. What a darling family you have.

Pamnken said...

Ruby looks like a little doll. She is seriously very darling. (:

Pamnken said...

Ruby looks like a doll. She is seriously very darling. (: