I'm back home and I feel like I just quit a full time job. I went home last week to help out with Emily's Spring time boutique and it was a big success! It was loads of fun but also exhausting. It was the first time in a long time where the entire family worked together on a project. Mom, Dad and all the brothers and sisters did something to make this event happen and it was really touching. I can't wait for the next one.
This week has been me trying to catch up. We are all back to our usual routines and I even found time to plant my spring garden. Outside I planted peas, radishes, swiss chard, lettuce, beets, carrots and spinach. Clayton hammered down some stakes and put netting over the top to keep out the birds and squirrels that ate my last garden. Inside I'm sprouting some sweet corn, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, cabbage, and peppers. I'll transplant them outside in about a month when the weather is warmer. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about this garden. It has been on my mind for the past 3 years. I'm sure this one won't turn out perfect but I'm hoping that I'll improve my garden with every planting season. I think this would be a very valuable skill to pass onto my kids.
Today we had a wonderful lesson on overcoming addictions big and small. The speaker is a licensed psychologist who runs his own clinic specifically addressing those with problems in pornography, alcohol and drugs among others. There were a few points that really struck me such as, instead of focusing on erasing past mistakes and bad habits, I should focus on adding positive habits to my life and the others will fade away. He also spoke about the power of action. Usually we desire something and so we act on it but desire will also come after we act. For example, I don't like cleaning my house but while I'm cleaning, I feel really good about it and I'm so glad that I did. The speaker gave a personal example of Home teaching. He said his Dad would have to drag him out out of the house to do home teaching but he was always so happy he did it afterwards. I guess I already knew these things but it was good to hear again and I've made a goal to add positive habits in my life and make myself act on them.
2 comments:
That sounds like a really great lesson on being proactive in life. You and I are doing some of the same things right now, like making gardens and trying to learn gardening skills. It's so fun, huh! Sammy has his own little hoe and shovel and tries to help us in the garden. I totally see why the prophets want us to plant gardens; there are so many benefits! Glad you're doing so well. Love ya,
Katrina
So fun to get to read what you all are up to. I'm jealous of the snow. I know that sounds weird, but I had snow growing up and I miss it sometimes. We got our garden in too, we just hope we can keep the birds from eating all our tomatoes:)
Post a Comment