Thursday, February 11, 2010

Grandma Johnson

My sister called to say Grandma had another stroke and it wasn't looking good. As the night went on, I was so disappointed I couldn't be there for her last few days or fly out for her funeral. My sis described sitting with Grandma and holding her hand and what an experience it was to be with her as she hovered so close to the other side. Emily puts it beautifully in her own words that you can read here.
Grandma Eva was my last living grandparent and I had only been able to attend my Grandpa Crandall's funeral, missing my other 2 grandparents. (Seriously, why can't family pass away while I'm IN town) A couple days later my sister calls again and asks if my sibling all pitched in for my ticket, could I make it out to AZ? I was so touched, and said I would make it work. At first, booking the ticket wasn't quite working until, my big brother called at the perfect moment and asked if I needed one of his free tickets to fly home. I found out later that my sister had never called him to ask about pitching in for my ticket. He had just called on his own. I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I couldn't ask for a better bunch of siblings.
So I was able to fly home for my Grandma's funeral after all. The one I was named Eva after. I brought Quinton and my violin in tow. Ever since I was in High School my Mom has asked me to learn the song "Oh Divine Redeemer" on the violin since it's Grandma's favorite. I had been practicing off and on for the past few years so I could be ready. (Thank you Kate H.) I was ready but my nerves weren't. I played at the funeral and I was so nervous, my bow was bouncing but as I played on, I relaxed a little and was able to hit almost every note. I hope it pleased Grandma and helped the spirit to linger with us in the chapel.
Getting to see family for a few days more and even cousins and Aunts and Uncles I hadn't seen for years was so special. I was reminded again how quickly time passes without even knowing it.
A big thank you to my friends in Cleveland who helped with Caleb and fed my husband while I was gone.


You can see why they call me the runt.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That's a really nice family photo. I know grandma is happier now.

Anonymous said...

You are a good photographer! Love the pics, especially the one of Mom and Dad.

paula said...

I glad you got to come and be with your family. It is hard when that last grandparent goes, the end of a generation.

spice2116 said...

so cool that you were able to go to he funeral. family is such a blessing!