Sunday, March 21, 2010

New tradition

I though of a new tradition.
It came to me while browsing through Cost Plus World Market at all the great Easter goodies, wondering if I could use foodstamps to purchase easter candy then feeling conflicted about using food stamps for Easter candy. This went back and forth while I dreamed about the fun things I could put in Caleb's basket. Then I remembered that Caleb doesn't have an Easter basket. SO I started looking for one. Then I thought, "Why does it have to be just an "Easter" basket? Why can't it be an every holiday basket? I went to JoAnnes and got one basket for each family member. So for each holiday, big or small, I plan on decorating them and stuffing them with trinkets and goodies somehow related to the holiday.
This was the day before St. Patty's Day and so I hurried to find things to throw together for the new baskets last minute. But JoAnnes only had one sparse little shelf left with a few lame mini green top hats and leprechauns. Meanwhile the whole store is practically exploding with Easter merchandise. So I gave up trying to put my new tradition into action right away. It will begin this Easter.
Instead I got up early the next day and made a green breakfast. Green eggs and ham ,minus the ham because I didn't have any and wouldn't know how to turn it green anyways. (Nor would I want to) I found out that Orange juice can turn into a very cool shade of green. Excited to give Caleb his breakfast he takes one look at it and says, "I just want cereal."
"But look! It's GREEN!" I say enthusiastically but to no avail. I ask if he at least wants green milk to which he replies, "I want blue milk". Blue? BLUE?
So you see my St. Patrick's Day was a flop. At least we have a new tradition to look forward to!

2 comments:

Sara said...

You are such an awesome mommy! Way to make his St. Patrick's day special! I would have made his milk blue and then snuck in some yellow afterwards :)

Diana said...

I think this sounds like a fun tradition! I can't wait to see how creatively you can decorate the baskets.