Sunday, June 26, 2011

Moving Day

 We are officially moving into our new place on July 9. So we thought we should tell you about our Cleveland move first so we don't get too behind.

Packing was relatively easy. I had started a while back packing a few boxes each week. I didn't bother unpacking most of our books and all of our home decor stuff  from our last move so I had a little head start. If I had my way, I would have packed up the house entirely and just camped indoors for the last week but Clayton was against it. Of course Clayton was still packing HIS stuff the day of but that's nothing new.

The night before, we had our friends Dan and Ryan help move the big furniture from the upstairs room and the basement to the main floor. Caleb and Quinton had fun playing in the empty desk.


The day of the move, Caleb had his end of the year class party and they had moved it up especially for him since we are leaving so I thought he should go say goodbye. When we got back it looked like our volunteers to help us move were not coming after all so we were getting a little panicked but we had some others show up. They were our heroes! I couldn't thank them enough. Another blessing that happened was Quinton entertained himself in the back yard for a large portion of the move which is very un-Quinton-like. So I was able to help organize to keep things going smoothy.

 We had the truck mostly packed by about 1:00 and I was hoping to get going by about 3:00. HA!...I really should know better by now that things never go as planned when moving. hee... hee...silly me.
Anyways.. we had to return our cable box. Find out the location near us was closed down so Clayton had to drive clear across down town Cleveland to return it.(By the way, his stuff is still not packed) Happy thoughts Happy thoughts. So now we can't load the last few things in the truck til he gets back. Meanwhile,
Quinton is no longer self-entertained and worse, its nap time with no place to nap. I'm trying to clean the floors and kitchen around the piles of Clayton's stuff and the other things still in the house. We had to say goodbye to some things including Clayton's mission bike (sniff) because they just wouldn't fit in the truck. Then OF COURSE, we run out of packing tape on the last 2 boxes. Neither end was taped so we HAD to go buy some so we could pick up the boxes without everything falling out.

Fast forward some hours and through some cursing (just in my head) we finally roll out at 10:30pm on Friday night.
 
The things that didn't make the cut




















































Caleb rode with Clayton in the truck and Quinton rode with me. I have to say I love walkie-talkies!We drove to Columbus that night and looked for the cheapest hotel we could find since we were only going to be there about 6 hours.Arrived after 1:00 am and Clayton sat in the truck to be with the boys while I went to check-in. While I was gone, a woman approached Clayton and asked if he needed any "help". Clayton not getting it says "uh.. no thanks I'm good"  

"Well I'm just looking for some money so I thought I'd ask if you needed any help" 

Caleb is asleep right next to Clayton mind you.Clayton is starting to get it now."No really, I'm good"

"What, you don't date? Oh I get it, you're babysitting"
I came back and Clayton says, "I think I just got solicited by a hooker!"

The rest of the move went pretty quick. We actually didn't take many pictures because we didn't stop much.
Just to stretch our legs and let the kids run. We were trying to drive straight through since Clayton had to meet the director at his new job on Tuesday which meant we had to be in Gallup, NM by Monday night. We checked out some books on tape from our Cleveland library to listen to on the way and we mailed them back from AZ. Our favorite to listen to was Enders Game. We took turns with Quinton since he could only drive so long before the screaming would start. At one point, I gave him some gummy bears hoping to hold off the screaming for a little longer and he made up a new game of sticking them all over his face.
 We made it safe to Gallup and you know the rest from our other post. I had a couple friends call me to see if they could come visit before we left and I had to say,"uh I'm in Missourri!" I felt bad that I didn't get to say goodbye to all our friends like I wanted but we had to change some plans last minute in order to accommodate Clayton's new job. Thank goodness for Skype and Facebook!  We truly feel blessed to have such great family and friends who are now spread across the country

2 comments:

Jonny, Christi, and Kids said...

When you play the game: "Have you ever..." then Clayton will have a winning singular experience.

I hope to only ever move one more time...it is definitely no fun!

Telitha said...

Glad you survived the move- and the drive, yikes! Congrats on finishing and landing a job, yay!